Who are YardArts and what do they do?
YardArts sent Shire the following statement:
YardArts is a performing arts organisation that specialises in physical theatre (circus). Its ultimate goal is to champion, facilitate and help showcase as broad a section of the arts as it can.
YardArts believes that art and fitness are an essential part of staying happy and healthy. YardArts is a creative hub that has time and again been shown to galvanise communities.
The new company grew quickly
YardArts began at a small location in Old Market, Bristol, when its CEO and creative director, Christo, came to the end of 20 years of touring with performance companies and circus troops. The new company grew quickly and soon moved to a bigger but derelict site in St Paul’s. YardArts turned that site into a thriving hub of creativity described as ‘an oasis in the City’: the crime rate in that area dropped by 70% in the time YardArts were based there. They hosted a wide variety of events, and engaged with the community with creative outreach workshops, aimed at local youth groups.
space to expand
A year ago YardArts circus moved to Kingswood where they helped accommodate Circomedia students and continued to support its professional members. However, the location was too small for their own unique venue so YardArts continued to look for other opportunities. When YardArts were offered the location on Penpole Lane team members and performers were filled with enthusiasm and inspiration.
YardArts Circus Village
YardArts Village would house YardArt’s unique geo‐dome venue for performance, training, space hire and for running classes.
They plan to host a summer season of performances of all kinds. As well as circus, they offer performance classes, open to all ages and abilities.
Over time they envisage offering a variety of opportunities, facilities and experiences in addition to their shows.
They would like to provide
- 15 rentable workshops: workshop/ start‐up spaces for small arts and crafts businesses, spaces where artists could create and sell their products.
- Living quarters: comfortable living space and facilities for our YardArts team, practitioners and workers at YardArts.
- A bespoke tented circus stage; The YardArts dome has already enjoyed some notarioty locally across Bristol. We will continue to host our shows in our unique geo-dome.
- They hope to host craft fairs and markets at
The Village, with stall hire open to all.
- They hope to open an environmentally friendly Cafe/gallery which might provide jobs for local people and wall space for artists to display and sell their work.
Once The YardArts Circus Village is established, we will expand this further with a rural inclusive tour and workshops for people with high dependency needs, including people with altzimers.