WE all want you to enjoy your bonfire and firework celebrations safely.
Avon Fire & Rescue Service Firefighters are asking members of the public to help them prevent unnecessary 999 calls this Bonfire Night. November 5 is traditionally a busy night for Avon Fire & Rescue Service (AF&RS) with around 50% more calls than on an average night. However, many of the 999 calls turn out to be well intended false alarms, where people have spotted a fire which turns out to be a controlled bonfire in a garden.
This year AF&RS is asking people to let their neighbours know if they are having a bonfire as this may help to reduce the risk of unnecessary 999 calls and ensure firefighters are available to respond to other emergencies. Make sure you build your bonfire well away from hedges and fencing which could catch fire.
If you can, attend a properly organised display as these tend to be safer than having your own at home. However, if you are celebrating at home make sure you follow our advice to keep you and your family safe. Only buy fireworks complying with the British Standard (BS7114).
Any reputable dealer or retailer will sell fireworks that comply with this standard. If you are offered any others do not buy them and contact trading standards to let them know.
Follow the Firework Code
- Keep fireworks in a closed box or tin.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not mix, save the drinking until after the fireworks;
- Follow the instructions on each firework.
- Light fireworks at arms length, using a taper.
- Stand well back.
- Never go near a firework which has been lit. Even if it hasnt gone off, as it could still explode.
- Never carry fireworks in your pockets.
- Never throw fireworks.
- Keep pets indoors.
- Always supervise children with sparklers.
Over half of injuries every year are to children under the age of 15. The most common injuries are to the hands, wrists and eyes and most of these are caused by sparklers:
- Teach them to hold the sparkler at arms length and wear gloves.
- Explain to them that sparklers get very hot and will burn their skin if not held correctly.
- Dont give sparklers to children under 5 years of age, as they may not understand the dangers.
- Keep a container of water nearby, large enough and deep enough to put sparklers in after use.